‘79% of users scanned a new webpage, only 16% read word by word’ (Kissmetrics, 2015), therefore creating copy that is succinct that can be skim read is necessary. This online copy checklist will ensure your content is easily consumed.
1. Is the copy concise? Can the copy be refined?
Content has about 8 seconds to capture someone’s attention. It’s not about short or long copy it’s about writing enough to convert a prospect to achieve the desired goal.
2. Do messages match your audience’s skill level and motivation?
What level of understanding of your topic is your copy written for? Know your audience and adapt messages to them by composing content to meet their needs.
3. Are subheadings used to create content structure?
By creating content templates you won’t have to reinvent the wheel every time you write. This can also act as an information checklist.
4. Are important phrases bolded?
Highlighting important words or phrases by bolding them makes your content easier to read. Pages that can easily be scanned improves user experience.
5. Does your copy set your websites tone towards “clarity and grace”?
‘Everything that can be thought at all can be thought clearly.
Everything that can be said can be said clearly.’
6. Is your copy written from a give value to get value stance?
Understand your customers and provide them with information they need to know to influence and optimise readers decisions towards your call to action ie. sign up for a free trial, make a purchase, attend an information session etc.
7. Is the anchor text subtle? (anchor text is the copy that links)
Avoid writing generic anchor copy like “visit website”, “click here”, or “home”. Anchor text links should be in a different colour to differentiate it from the main body text.
8. Is the copy optimized for Search Engine Optimisation?
Have a general understanding of SEO and writing for the web to optimize words/ phrases for Google search.
9. Is the copy written with an active voice?
“We wrote this blog post to help you write better for the web.” vs. “The new blog post written we wrote can help you write for the web.” The first sentence is sharper and stronger.
10. Is the content written in inverted pyramid format?
Important content goes first.